First and foremost, The Dormouse is not “anti-vaccine”, #Smallpox, #Polio, #Measles, #Mumps #Rubella and many more besides have been successfully eradicated in the wild or at the very least significantly controlled through the proper use of well developed vaccines. In the normal course of events The Dormouse takes the view that specific medical conditions of the person to be vaccinated aside one would have to be a moron to refuse appropriate vaccines. And ladies and gents if you’re still concerned about the #MMR vaccine for your children, you shouldn’t be. It’s been around long enough for anything to go wrong to go wrong and it turns out to be as safe as any other vaccine, if not more so.
The Dormouse has concerns about the Covid19 vaccines currently being offered though. These are those concerns:
- Result data from any trial data from any company has NOT been published for any Covid19 vaccine.
- No Covid19 vaccine trial data has of today been peer reviewed.
- No compatibility trials (ie how does this vaccine interact with other medicines) have been conducted
- Phase I, II and III trials are said to have been successfully concluded and indeed a vaccine could not be approved for use if they hadn’t, however no long term trials have taken place, nor could they have been done in the time available.
- Governments, including the UK government have indemnified Pfizer and other drugs companies in the event of legal claims being made against them in respect of their vaccines.
The first two items are fundamental to the scientific method. If data is not validated by an independent, knowledgeable third party (publish and peer review) it is impossible to judge the accuracy of any claims made. This is basic, if there’s no peer review there’s no validation and from a scientific point of view any claims made by the discoverer have to be viewed with more than a pinch of salt.
The trials results rely only on manufacturers claims to the regulator. The reported results could be entirely accurate, there might be manageable minor errors, there might be major errors that place the whole program in doubt, there could even be catastrophic errors that lead to a public health emergency, this follows from the paragraph above. More than that is that to date we only have short term results available (no matter how correct), will the vaccine provide protection in a year’s time, what side effects will only come to light next year or the year after? We have no way of knowing.
Lack of compatibility trials means that these vaccines may be rendered useless or even worse have catastrophic effects on patients if they react with other drugs a person may be using.
Effectively the vaccines are still experimental. Their development and trials are not yet concluded and The Dormouse is not a lab rat. Having said that there are those much closer to death than him. An ethical way forward would be to offer the vaccine (after explaining its experimental nature) to those at the very pinnacle of risk from #Covid. That is, those with nothing to lose and where the risk of Covid far outweighs possible side effects. This additional test data could then be used to better inform the general population.
So for the general population do the potential risks associated with Covid outweigh the potential risks posed by the experimental vaccines? At this stage the best we can say is that the question is not yet answered. To which The Dormouse also asks, why if companies such as Pfizer have confidence in their product did they demand an indemnity before allowing their vaccines to be be deployed? To The Dormouse, that’s a big red flag.
- No one associated with this website is a doctor or has relevant scientific qualifications
- This article was written on the 3/12/20, information is changing constantly and some objections listed above may not be relevant when you read this page
- Generally The Dormouse advocates vaccines and only demurs from that general principle in this special case
- If your best friend walks over a cliff, you don’t have to follow him. The Dormouse has explained what he will do and what his views are, you must make up your own mind.
Meanwhile even mainstream news services are raising concerns, for instance here’s what Forbes (a well known politically independent US service) has to say.